Thursday, April 30, 2009

Today is my son's 14th birthday. Although I recognize that I am a bit biased, I think he is absolutely adorable. Last year had a lot of difficulties for him, but I am so encouraged by his attitude lately (despite his last report card.) He has been so helpful, mowing the lawn without being nagged. He's had a recent enthusiasm for his own fitness level, which is inspiring. He's gained a lot of confidence in lacrosse this year, wearing his bruises as badges of honor (see him about to score in the picture.) He's excited about high school in the fall, especially ROTC and Japanese. His sisters and I appreciate the hormonal balance he brings to our household, leaving fragrant pieces of equipment around the house and car.

How can I have two teenagers?

What do you remember about being 14?

5 comments:

just me said...

That sounds so great. It's nice to know that having a teenage boy doesn't have to be as scary as I had feared.

E is also playing lacrosse this spring... and is proud of her bruises (and additional muscle). Too bad lax isn't a recognized varsity sport in our county. (btw, there's no boys lax at BHS)

Unknown said...

He is adorable- just mowing without being nagged makes me love him!

Ah, 14 again...I remember being boy crazy, drinking Tickled Pink (erp) that summer before 9th grade and being an expert at round-offs and cartwheels.

just me said...

wait a minute - japanese? is he going to ERHS?

Laura said...

Please tell him Happy Birthday from us!!
The teens just sort of sneak in when you aren't looking....

John said...

Being scared to death of girls and yet being so interested in them, even though I had no clue as to how to proceed in the girl wooing department. That and learning how important deodorant was.