Sunday, November 07, 2010

I feel like the tin man at the beginning of the Wizard of Oz.
Oil Can!

I just completed my level one yoga teacher training:18 hours of yoga and talking about yoga in two days. It's hard to talk about yoga without doing it. That was a lot of yoga. My upper body is talking to me about it today!

My class was all women. I wasn't the oldest or the heaviest as I had feared, but I was definitely not in the same shape as most of the class. More than half of the 16 participants were already fitness instructors: Pilates, zumba, kickboxing, and a few were already yoga teachers too. They were expanding their skills and already in terrific shape.

I made quick friends with Dina who said yoga teachers scared her when she introduced herself. Our teacher was great, not taking her task too seriously. She put us all at ease and helped us learn a lot. Some of us were planning to take level 2 together at the end.

I have been taking yoga for about 4 years now, so I wasn't really learning new poses - just doing the basics over and over. In fact sometimes it was frustrating to limit myself to the 20 poses that they were reviewing in level one. We were learning more about common misalignments, how to modify poses for a variety of health issues, how to make poses flow together, and how to sequence a class.

So I'm excited about this new turn in my career. I'm still working for a local magazine, but I'm pulling away from that and heading in this new direction.

Have any of you made a big change in your career? Any advice?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I'm impressed.
And it takes a lot of courage to change to another career. I think it sounds like a great idea and I wish you luck.

Linda said...

"yoga teachers scared her"? Hmmm, can't wait to hear the story behind this :) So proud of you-- you are going to be an awesome teacher, I look forward to being taught!

Kusuma Putra said...

nice blog...


http://mynicegames.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Good day, sun shines!There have were times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.I have never thought that there weren't any need in big initial investment.Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I started take up real income.It's all about pearl pendant that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the sea shell pearl with you.If you get a chance pop up by my page, maybe you would like cultured freshwater pearl earrings.