Monday, August 24, 2009

Have you seen "Julie & Julia" yet?
I am currently working on the feature article for the October issue of Taste of the Bay magazine on the Slow Food Movement. This movie seems to fit right in. Do you think the popcorn can count as a business expense too?



I loved this movie.
Let me advise you, if you are planning to catch it, to go to an early show. Also, before you go, make yourself a dinner reservation at a French restaurant so you will not find yourself driving around at 10pm looking for someplace that might still be open that serves good wine, crusty bread, and boeuf bourguignon.

Besides encouraging deliberate, joyful, buttery cooking in an age where our meals have become more chemicals than food, Julie & Julia was a tribute to the power of love.

Both women in this movie were able to attempt crazy projects, fail, and ultimately succeed beyond their wildest dreams because they had a supportive, adoring husband. Although men often make themselves an easy target for unflattering portrayals in today's books and movies, are you as tired as I am of the plot of a woman overcoming the harm done her by a cruel husband, careless father, or ruthless stranger? The two husbands in this movie are inspiring - not perfect, but they truly love their wives. How refreshing!

5 comments:

Anne said...

Loved it. Maybe I should see it again. you game?

Dtodd said...

I don't know why you had to preface your defense of men with a shot at them.
My wife and daughter have tired of me pointing out all of the negative portrayals of men in TV and advertising. After a commercial featuring a stereotypically dumb man I'll say "Men are so stupid!". I've said it so much that I think I've won my point.

just me said...

I keep going back and forth about seeing it or not. But your comments make me think I should.

Maureen said...

We saw the movie at a 10:30am showing and did not eat breakfast first.
The one thing I learned was I do not want her cook book. it seems like way to much work for me.

Mom said...

I do want to see it, but I'm with Maureen on the way too much work for me.